So Ben and I have narrowed down the area where we want to buy a home to an area that was mostly developed in the 90's. Since these homes are 10-15 years old for the most part, we don't tend to find hardwood floors in them. Some of the current owners have had them installed, but the majority of homes we see don't have them. Well, I saw a home a couple of weeks ago that had beautiful dark, wide-plank wood floors - exactly the kind I like - in all the living areas. We really liked the home and thought about putting an offer in but we weren't completely sure about it and now it's too late cause someone else bought it. Anyway, fast forward to today...
Ben and I were talking about the home and how much we liked their floors and decided they're the kind we'll want to put in the home we end up buying. Well, there are about a billion different types and stains of wood floors so we thought it'd be much easier if we just ask the owners of the home we saw where they got their floors. We felt a little sheepish about it (well, Ben didn't because of course he made me do the asking), but I figured who cares if they think I'm crazy? They don't know me and at least I'll end up with nice floors! So we drove over to their house and when we got there they were outside rollerblading with their boys. I got out and explained my situation and they were so nice that we chatted for a bit and they actually gave me a sample of their floors from an extra box they had in their garage!!! How funny is that? So I'm very excited. I'll just be able to take my sample right on over to Lowe's and say "I want these floors, please!"
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I would have done the same thing! Anyone would be flattered I'm sure.
We had a really hard time finding a stain we liked for our "new" floors (we had them refinished before we moved in) - we lucked out with what we picked but it was stressful! You'll be glad you can match it and already know what it will look like on a larger scale (rather than staring at a 3 foot patch).
When are you guys thinking of moving?
Hi Jenn! What stain do you guys have? I've only seen a peek of yours from some Savvy-on-the-stairs pictures, but I remember liking your floors. :) We're looking for a house right now - the sooner the better! Our lease here is up at the end of March and we reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't want to extend it.
WE installed our own hardwood in both places we've lived in now. Because both places were not our "ideal homes" (just condos and town homes) we didn't get exactly what we wanted. We ended up going to this great place called Woods Floors Plus - a discount place that sells random quantities of discontinued flooring at a fraction of the cost! I am sounding like an advertisement now. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Ooh - I'll post more pics soon - I'm waiting to get the curtains up in the nursery before I take pictures to show on my blog (since I'm sort of prideful that way). ;)
They are most closely described as a cherry wood, they have a red undertone that Marc and I really liked.
So exciting about buying a place - it's nice that you've narrowed down the area you want to be in. I hope you find something just perfect - I need someone else to obsess about first home decorating with me! :)
Post a Comment