When you only have four months to plan a wedding you need to be flexible and go with the flow. You also need to make quick decisions on things. Normally, quick decision-making is not my forte but I was actually a very non-dramatic and efficient bride. Many of these quick decisions turned out great - the venue for my reception, the food (which was apparantly delicious, although I didn't actually get to eat any of it), the cake. However, some hastily-made decisions left a little to be desired. Such as, of course, the photographer. In all fairness, I don't think the photographer was bad (except that I kind of do), just not so much my style. And she didn't take some of what I would have thought were very typical wedding pictures (like me with just my bridesmaids, or me with my sister).
Anywho, the photographer's biggest fault was her sense of artistic creativity - which culminated in her directive to our wedding party to line up around us and flash some jazz hands toward the happy couple. For your entertainment, I have taken a picture of this - my most embarassing wedding picture, hands down:

Note the lack of enthusiasm exibited by our wedding party at this atrocious request. I think my bridesmaids - bless their hearts - actually put on a good face and gave it their best effort. Although you can practically see the thoughts in their heads: "You want us to do what???" The groomsmen - particularly Ben's brother in the front - can't seem to hide their true feelings about the exercise. In retrospect, I should have stepped up and simply said, "Actually, I don't really want a picture with jazz hands, thank you." But being the people-pleaser that I try to be, I slapped on a smile and let my wedding party go about flailing their arms and flashing their hands in an effort to create the fun, light-hearted photo that my photographer undoubtedly imagined I would blow up and hang above the fireplace.
Moral of this story to all other clueless bride-to-bes out there: get a referral for your photographer, and don't be afraid to boss him/her around a little.
11 comments:
Oh wow, that is hilarious!! I have some great stories about my photographer too, but I don't think I can top this.
That photo is pretty funny!! I know there are some things I would have done differently if I were getting married today, but at least you have a good sense of humor and you are so beautiful that I am sure she captured some great ones too.
I am laughing out loud right now (which is also very entertaining considering half my face is paralyzed!)!! I think everybody has a cheesy picture from their wedding, but this is truly hilarious!! Also, your comentary completes the photo. Thanks for posting!
OH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST LAUGH I HAVE HAD ALL DAY!!! WELL MAYBE ALL WEEK, heck all month probably. I wish I could enlarge the photo! That is too funny!
Ok I am still laughing and I have to comment on Ben's brother in the front! HE is cracking me up!!!!!!
Sorry that last one was me.
LOL and I can't stop!
Oh my!! I love it! Well, if it makes you feel any better our dj played the Star Wars theme song when we walked in to the reception hall and had a huge plastic sign taped up right next to my cake table that said "T-Bone DJ Service - I'm Your Dawg". WHAT?!! I guess I needed to research that one a little more! :) Hope you are doing well! Miss you!
I am laughing so hard right now!!!!! Honestly I completely forgot about that terrible pose (I'm glad I'm mostly hidden in the picture). I think I'm going to giggle all night about this.
I am dying! Oh don't worry, I could top that with a picture with a cut-out in it of a person who couldn't be at the wedding! I still have bitter feelings. Oh the age of film and not digital photos!!
I am laughing so hard I'm crying! This is absolutly the best. If I ever go back to photography I think I'll be trying some jazz hand shots.
Post a Comment