Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Pottery Barn?

I'm working here now. Just two weeknights a week. I'm incredibly suprised they hired me, considering my narrow and unflexible availability. My interview started off like this:

Manager: So what is your availability?
Me: I would like to work two weeknights a week, but I can't work on Wednesdays.
Manager: Okay. Typically, we ask that all employees be willing to work at least one day on the weekend.
Me: Well, I'm not available to work weekends.
A phone conversation with the scheduling manager included the following:
Scheduler: So I see that you would like to work 8 hours a week. Could we bump that to 10?
Me: Well, I'm really just looking for two weekday nights a week.
Scheduler: Our evening shift is from 5-10pm.
Me: I can't start until 6pm.

They hired me anyway (as a "casual employee") and I started yesterday. So far so good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your discount! I am missing mine so badly right now. I love that they gave into your scheduling demands!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Seriously Andy was offered a job there last week just for 2 nights a week and just until June 8th, but we decided to not take it, but darn I want that discount...I need furniture for our house!!!!!!!! Have fun!

Ashby said...

Ok, officially jealous now!!! I was talking to my friend who works there one night a week and I was totally thinking of trying to do that once we moved back! Do you get the discount too?!

Shauna Brown said...

CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!!! I am so excited for you, you working woman!! Oh, by the way, I just checked by Vonage voice mail (which I never check) and had a message from you. I feel so terrible I haven't called you back. Email me you number so we can catch up- sorry!

Liza Jane said...

That's awesome! Wow, and they didn't even call me for a reference - must have been your cute looks!

Anonymous said...

So cool!! What is your discount? I have thought about working to get a discount at Gymboree. Let me know how you like working.

Jenn S. said...

Awesome Amy! That is so great - I've wished for a similar situation but Marc just never gets home early enough and I don't want to work weekends either. So glad it worked out for you and yay for a discount!