Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Sam

I'm not sure what the precise definition of "infant" is, but in my mind it refers to a baby under a year old. In that case, today is Sam's last day as an infant. At this time tomorrow (almost to the minute), he will be a one-year-old. I know people say this type of thing all the time, but I honestly cannot believe that my baby will be one tomorrow. His first year went by so fast. It's so amazing how much he has grown in such a short time. Yet, even though he's only been here for a year, I feel like he's been mine forever and I can't imagine our family or my life without him in it. He's made quite an impact for such a little guy. I'm thinking right now about the moment, exactly one year ago tomorrow, when I gave one final push and reached out for my tiny son. I remember it so well and it's bringing tears to my eyes. I was the one who proclaimed "it's a boy!" and that first moment I held him he was all I could see. We looked at each other and he was just so familiar and I could tell that he knew me too.



Now an entire year has gone by and I don't know where it went. It's so fun to watch him grow and see him develop and learn and see his fun personality emerge, but it's hard in a way too. He doesn't fit completely in my arms anymore. When I sat down at the computer I actually intended to just post some cute pictures of Sam and that's it, but now I'm totally crying. I just love this baby so much it's ridiculous. Well, here are the cute pictures:





(Lately Sam loves to crawl around with things - he very carefully balances himself so he doesn't have to let go of his book or toy)

(Sam thought this was a very funny game)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's turning one either! Happy birthday Sam!

Anonymous said...

I can't belive it has been a year since Sam came into the world. Grandma I haven't even seen Sam yet in person.

Give him a kiss for us along with Noah and Ben.

We love you all

Sarah, Grandma & Puggie

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Sam!!! He is so darling and I can hardly wait to kiss that little 1-year-old in a few weeks!
Also, I tried to comment on yesterday's post but blogger wouldn't let me--mean blogger. Anyway, thanks for the shout out and doesn't my hair look like it's cut in one of those weird '80s hairdos--one side longer than the other?!? Crazy. We really need a new picture. . .

Likely said...

You are going to make me cry! You are making me excited to have my number two in a couple months!

Ashby said...

Happy Birthday little Sam!!! Seriously though.....where does the time go??? These kids are growing up too fast!

The Giles said...

Your post about made me cry too. Babies are so fun. I can't believe Sam is one either. Happy Birthday to him!