I actually did start this letter on August 9th but then the weeks flew by. I don't know what my deal is. Anyway...
Dear Noah,
Today (August 9) is your fourth birthday. On this day in 2004 you made me a Mama, and for that I will forever be grateful to you. Here are some pictures from the day you were born:




I knew when you were in utero that you would be a fiesty little guy. You would flip around with such force that my whole belly would make waves big enough to see on the outside. And one time, when I dared to rest my bowl of fruit on top of my big belly, you started kicking so ferociously that the bowl wobbled and nearly fell right off! I guess I can't blame you - I wouldn't want someone resting their lunch on my head either.
It's funny now thinking back to when you were growing inside me. I've been trying to explain it a little bit to you, but it's still a hard thing for a four-year-old to get. Your mind is making connections though; after we read Horton Hatches an Egg, you said to me, "Mama! Do you remember when I was in an egg and you were sitting on me and then I broke out of the egg and was a baby? Do you remember that?" I'm sure by the time you are old enough to read this you will have straightened it out, but just to be clear - humans don't hatch out of eggs, they grow in their mama's bellies. And just to prove it, here are a couple of pictures of you in my belly:


One of the amazing things about being your Mom is seeing how your mind works, and watching as you learn new things and increase your communication skills and expand your thought processes. Having a big four-year-old boy like you is so fun because we have actual coversations together and I enjoy talking to you so much. You are such an observant little guy and you just take in and remember everything. Sometimes I feel like I can almost see you learning something new. And there are so many times when you'll say something to me that I don't ever remember teaching you before.
Noah, I love you so much. I hope there is never a time, even for a moment, that you question that. I sometimes feel badly for the first child because the parents are just feeling their way. I know that I fall short sometimes and I hope you'll forget (or at least forgive and not be psychologically damaged by) my mommy mistakes. I make you promise me every night before bed that you'll always be my boy and I'm going to hold you to it. And, as you make me promise you every night, yes - I'll always be your girl.
Happy Birthday!
Love,
Mama
Newborn
One year old
Two years old
Three years old
Four years old
6 comments:
happy birthday Noah
did i tell you before that i think this is a great idea? p.s. love the newborn picture.
what a lucky boy!
Hey Ben & Amy! This is Paula Ausmus formerly from Lake Jackson! I found this blog by accident and imagine my surprise when I found out it was you. Your boys are just adorable. I hope you're all happy and well.
such a sweet post, amy.
happy birthday to noah!
Great post Amy! Happy Birthday Noah! It's hard to believe 4 years have already gone by so fast!
Post a Comment