Sunday, November 12, 2006

Language Skills

Recent favorites from Noah (in no particular order):

1) "Hmmm. That's weird!"
2) "Cute baby..." (talking to Sam of course)
3) "Are you ready to go? I'm ready!"
4) "I'm waiting for my mommy and daddy to come home" (see below for more detail)
5) "Daddy? Are you in the office?"
6) "That's so crazy..." (spoken while shaking his head about anything he finds, well, crazy)
7) "Couple more minutes?" (asked every time it's time to leave the park or stop jumping on the bed, etc.)
8) "C'mon!" (exclaimed when he drops something, for example)
9) "C'mon, Folks. His capa was detated!" (this is from The Office, for all you fans out there; we were watching it one night and laughing when Michael said this and ever since Noah has been repeating it and getting huge laughs from me and Ben)
10) "I'll get you!" (as he chases after us)

The last week or so it seems like Noah has experienced an explosion in his language development. He's had a good vocabulary and has been putting short phrases together for awhile now, but lately it seems there isn't anything he can't say. Plus, his sentences are getting much longer and less choppy and he's starting to ask questions correctly. And when I ask him something he'll answer with a sentence rather than just a short word or two ("I want to play with toys" or "I'm doing a poop" - sorry if that last one is too much information for some of you, but I thought it was funny). He still mixes some things up (he always says "Me help you?" when he needs help with something and "show me" when he actually wants to show us something), but it's cute so I'm not anxious for him to correct himself.

Friday night Ben and I went out to dinner so we got a babysitter. She told us that Noah went down for bed fine but a little while later she heard him chatting in his crib so she peeked in and said (nicely) "Noah, how come you're still awake?" Apparantly, his exact response was "I'm waiting for my mommy and daddy to come home." (She said he wasn't sad or anything, and he went to sleep shortly after that). I couldn't believe what a long and perfect sentence that was!

Anyway, I know most of these things seem like pretty normal things to say (aka, not really post-worthy) but it's so cool to hear your toddler speaking totally normally, you know? I'm liking this language explosion. I feel like now I'm able to have full and normal conversations with my little boy, which is really fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're missing so much of Noah's growing up time. It makes me so sad! Thanks for sharing all of these fun stories!